Re: Run Application

Alexandre Strube wrote:

Don't do whatever you did to "map it to F13".
There's no such mapping leaving it alone on both br-abnt2 keyboards and
us-intl-accents (don't remember the exact name), that's why I mapped it
to F13 (following someone's advice from the list)

Ah... sorry about that, I suffered from a 'standard 104-key keyboard' bias.

The 'xkeycaps' program (fairly old, but still useful) can be handy for playing with different keyboard layouts and recommending the correct inputs to xmodmap.

My one: xmodmap: up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)
lock Caps_Lock (0x42)
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)
mod1 Alt_L (0x40)
mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4
mod5 Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

The windows keys are Super_L and Super_R, here shown mapped to the modifier 'mod4'.
If yours aren't, try:
xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_L"
xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_R"

It doesn't work.
[surak@casa surak]$ xmodmap -e "mod4 = Super_L"
xmodmap:  unknown command on line commandline:0
xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

Mea culpa. Those were supposed to be: xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_L" xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_R" (as you figured out below) I had a transcription error.

If I map xmodmap -e "add mod4 = Super_L"
I can use it as a modifier, but not as a key anymore (ie works SuperL +
R to run app, but just pressing it does nothing)

That's correct. You can't be both. This is the same reason why shift or control by themselves won't do anything... only in combination with other keys.

Wasn't your goal to make Windows+R open the run app dialog?

If I open the keyboard shortcuts BEFORE adding mod4 to maps, I can map
it to open gnome menu, and if I open if AFTER, it does nothing.

You could map Windows+m to open the gnome menu, or some other key (my keyboard has a 'menu' key that doesn't otherwise do anything useful...)