yum.log message "No bootloader found, Cannot configure kernel"

Yum gurus:

Each time the kernel is updated and I run yum to get the update, I get an error
message in the yum.log file.

The message is:
No bootloader found, Cannot configure kernel

After yum runs, the new kernel files are in the /boot directory and the
grub.conf file has a new entry but the default kernel is still the old kernel.

The system boots to the new kernel just fine if I hand-edit the grub.conf file
to change the default kernel to the new one.

Are these two issues related?  What can be done to correct the error?

Thanks,
John V. Pope