Re: Giving up on Linux...

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 10:28, xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well, these particular issues (SMP system lockup, etc...) are all over
> Bugzilla with nary a fix in sight after quite a long time.  I also HAVE
> posted here with my problem and got redirected to these same bug reports.

You do know that Fedora is meant more as a development playground?  It
is not built to be your average stable Linux.  I have Red Hat AS running
on many SMP boxen at the fortune 500 I am a senior programmer at and
they are rock solid.  I also read that SGI has Linux up to 64-way.
Linux does SMP very well.

Why not try something a little more stable for your home system if you
don't want to tinker?  Try Red Hat Workstation or SuSE.

Oh, and as a kernel hacker I assume you know that you can install newer
Linux kernels?  You don't need to run Fedora to get the latest kernel,
you can upgrade the kernel on any version of Linux you are running to
get newer hardware support.  I'll also assume that the kernel you hack
on is not Linux.

As a kernel hacker, why not try to learn the Linux kernel and help
improve things?  Help test Fedora, send in patches, be a part of a
community.  With MS Windows, there is no community.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA