Re: Giving up on Linux...

    i have been using fedora as a desktop and its worked as advertised .   i can do everything i did in windows plus a lot more . sounds like a crank yanker bitching or as u say a troll . one you get fedora where you want it ...leave it alone as far as messing with the files . i think num nuts was running as root

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 09:28, xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sunday 22 February 2004 4:11 pm, Jeff Vian wrote:
> xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> snip

> >>Obviously by the fact that you felt the need to post you message here
> >>you are looking for some kind of confirmation about you decision.. The
> >>people in this mailing list are all Linux users so I doubt you will get
> >>any..
> >
> >No, I'm not looking for some kind of confirmation.  I am looking for a
> > system that works, and Linux is not working for me.  What, are you saying
> > that "Linux users" comprise some sort of religion?
> >
> >I use Linux at work... I am a kernel hacker at work.  That is my job.
> > Redhat 9 works for me at work because the motherboard is not completely
> > state of the art.
> >
> >I am not looking for any sort of consensus or support for my "decision".
> > I would rather that Linux worked for me. It doesn't and THAT is what I am
> > bothered by.  It seems that all of the problems with SMP systems locking
> > up are not being addressed... where are the fixes for the bugs in
> > BugZilla? Where is the vaunted Open Source community in all of this?
>
> The Open Source Community includes YOU.
>
> If you have specific complaints about functionality or desired features,
> and you fail to voice those problems via bugzilla or the forum/mailing
> lists then you by default are accepting things as they are.

Well, these particular issues (SMP system lockup, etc...) are all over
Bugzilla with nary a fix in sight after quite a long time.  I also HAVE
posted here with my problem and got redirected to these same bug reports.

> I agree with the earlier poster who said you are simply looking for
> confirmation on your decision.

If I was merely looking for confirmation for my decision I wouldn't have
opened myself up to a flame war by posting something like this to a Linux
group, now would I?

> I, for one, would rather put up with things that are not exactly right
> and tell people what changes I would like, than have to put up with an
> OS that limits me to doing what the vendor wants me to do, and makes me
> subject to the vendors idea of what I want.

Again, so would I... but this presupposes that I can get that "liberating" OS
to even work on my hardware.