Re: need help to recover data from damaged hdd

Alexander Appel wrote:

=========================Original message text=========================
While booted in knoppix or 'linux rescue' upon booting the fc1 disk1 cd try using these options in your mount command:
-o ro,errors=continue

Hopefully you will then be able to read most of your files, depending on what was in the bad sectors.
=======================End of original message text====================

I tried to mount the hdd with the options above but got only another error message:
"wrong filesystem, illegal options, superblock of /dev/hdb1 is damaged or too many filesystems mounted"
(I'm not sure if I've translated the error messages allright - using a German system)
I'm pretty sure it is not the "wrong filesystem" because I used -t ext2 and there aren't too many filesystems mounted. The whole command I'm trying to use is:
"mount -t ext2 -o ro,errors=continue /dev/hdb1 ~/mnt/tmp"

You previously said the partition indicates a problem and you are unable to even run fsck on it.
If the superblock is damaged you can use fsck and tell it to use one of the backup superblocks from the partition to do its checks. Man fsck for more information on how to do that. Doing it this way also fixes the corrupt superblock.