Re: Ping Fedora m/c by hostname from WindowsXP

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 00:02, Srinivasan S wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Fedora linux machine running DHCP. When I
> connect my WindowsXP laptop to this network a new
> IP is assigned and everything is fine.  THe host
> name of my Fedora m/c is HomeProxy.  When I try
> ping HomeProxy from my laptop it does not work.  But
> the n/w is fine since if I try ping 192.168.1.1 it
> works immediately.
>
> How do I ping Fedora m/c from my Xp m/c using host name ?
>
> THanks in advance for all your help
>
> Regards
> Srini

I use Samba to take care of this for me.  MS Windows computers can talk
to each other using their computer name because they broadcast that
name.  You can have Linux do this via Samba.  This what I use at work so
I can get to all of my dev Linux boxen.  For production servers we use
DNS, though it is overkill for a small network IMO.

As root edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and add this line some where under the
[global] section:

netbios name = HomeProxy

Replace HomeProxy with the name you want the Linux box to be to MS
Windows clients and other Samba/Linux clients.

Now open the file /etc/sysconfig/samba and add this to the NMBDOPTIONS
line:

NMBDOPTIONS="-D"
add "-n keelie"
NMBDOPTIONS="-D -n HomeProxy"

Now just restart samba with:
  service smb restart

Now go to your MS Windows box and ping HomeProxy.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA