Re: Ping Fedora m/c by hostname from WindowsXP

On 22 Feb 2004 05:02:56 -0000, Srinivasan S wrote
> Hi
>
> I have a Fedora linux machine running DHCP. When I connect my
> WindowsXP laptop to this network a new IP is assigned and everything
> is fine. THe host name of my Fedora m/c is HomeProxy. When I try
> ping HomeProxy from my laptop it does not work. But the n/w is fine
> since if I try ping 192.168.1.1 it works immediately.
>
> How do I ping Fedora m/c from my Xp m/c using host name ?

You probably need to configure the hosts file on your Windows XP machine.  The
location of this file is C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.  The format of
the file is the same as on Unix.

Note that the above is necessary only if you do not have DNS running on your
local network.  If you do have DNS running (and are using DHCP to send DNS
configuration to your laptop) then the above may not be necessary.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown