Re: Giving up on Linux...

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 05:15, Dean Mumby wrote:
> I have a intel d865perl mb with hyperthreading , sata , and all the same
> features , i installed fedora , redhat 9, etc with legacy mode and then
> simply switched to enhanced mode and i am running fine. did you check
> wether your system had enabled dma
>
>  hdparm -tT /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   3568 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1784.00 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  166 MB in  3.00 seconds =  55.33 MB/sec
>
> not slow at all
>

> xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >... for the foreseeable future on my home system.
> >
> >My home system is an ASUS PVP800-VM motherboard which has hi-speed USB, ACPI,
> >Pentium IV with hyperthread, S-ATA, Intel Extreme 2 graphics (865G chipset).
> >
> >I also have an antique Adaptec 2930 SCSI card for my LS-2000 scanner.
> >
> >Redhat 9 install disks won't even boot on this machine unless I disable the
> >Enhanced IDE (<-- totally bogus!!) ...  Fedora Core 1 is about the same.
> >
> >I decided on FC1 because it uses a later kernel (2.4.22 ... 24?) which seems
> >to support hyperthread and S-ATA better.  When I finally got FC1 installed (I
> >had to disable Enhanced IDE, install, compile a custom kernel and then
> >re-enable Enhanced IDE), it was horribly SLOOOOOOW... running a shell in X
> >and pasting a long command line took forever to complete.
> >
> >I figured that this might be due to the graphics driver, so I updated the
> >graphics driver from Intel and then X crashed with a segmentation fault in
> >the closed source part of the driver when attempting to start the X server.
> >Even changing back to the original driver in the XF86Config didn't fix the
> >segfault.  Gotta reinstall?  Who needs this? What a nightmare.
> >
> >The issue here is that Windows XP runs "out-of-the-box" on this system without
> >problems and it is FAST, once it boots.
> >
> >I could try the 2.6 kernel (and I have a LOT of experience with computers),
> >but what's the use?  The 2.6 kernel is not ready for prime-time, not by a
> >long shot, and neither, it seems, is Linux in general.
> >
> >I have seen too many bugs and posts on these topics about SMP/hyperthread/ACPI
> >and other issues that cause the system to lock up after a time of running or
> >not run at all and no fixes seem to be in sight - maybe because these
> >problems are intractable without inside information about ACPI and other
> >things that Intel will give to Microsoft but not to Open Source developers.
> >Maybe Redhat just doesn't care. Who knows?
> >
> >I pity the average user that tries to install and run Linux on their latest
> >hardware.  If I, as an experienced software engineer, throw up my hands, what
> >would a relative newbie who just needs the system to work do?
> >
> >I have real problems seeing how Linux is going to make it to the desktop by
> >2005 with these kinds of road-blocks.
> >
> >Sad.
> >

> I love how quick people are to just give up and go back to window, well i hate to
say it but most people who are truly into computers will not give up on
it... Linux is NOT for everyone and it sounds like it most certainly
isn't for you because we all have systems that run fine, so therefore
you must not have used the available resources properly... So in closing
I wish you well and tell MYDOOM that we all say hi and that we can't say
that we miss it... DRM is a fun aspect too I hope you make enough money
to keep paying for all the licenses.... Have Fun