RE: Giving up on Linux...

>The issue here is that Windows XP runs "out-of-the-box" on this system
>without problems and it is FAST, once it boots.

We run the same mobo on several machines and they work just fine. Out of the
box, the mobo has enhanced on only for SATA and that's the way we left it.
We are using Seagate 120G PATA drives. Performance is as expected. I flashed
the BIOS to the most recent version available on ASUS's web site before the
O/S install.

The only thing you should do is fix the amount of video RAM via the BIOS to
32Meg BEFORE you install. We do this for either a W2K or Linux install on
this mobo.

We have no other boards plugged into any slots, so I wouldn't know about the
Adaptec's effect on the system as a whole.

We've been using YUM to make mods to the O/S as needed and haven't had a
single problem. I like the mobo for Linux.

Now I hope you're a bit confused about our experience versus yours, and you
persevere and figure out where the difference is. From where I sit, it looks
like pilot error.

BTW - We run over two dozen other ASUS mainboards in house. They include
some old P-II 266's, various AMD chips, single and DUAL P-III's, various
P-IV's, and they all work as expected. We have ASUS boards running at client
sites on Linux, Windows, and Netware, and can't remember the last time we
lost a server to hardware issues. The best up time we have is on Linux
server.

--
Bill Gradwohl
YCC