Re: Linux 'n games

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 04:38, John Klingler wrote:
> And I think part of the reason they don't is because there are so many
> different linux distributions/configurations that simply their increased
> end-user tech support costs would really start to bite into their profits.

John makes a very good point.  If games were made to run natively under
Linux, how long would these games be functional before kernel/module/API
changes to the OS break the game? 1 - 2 years?

For example, with little effort I could make "Day of the Tentacle" for
MSDOS and run under Windows XP.

This is a game that was developed round the early-mid 90's.  Granted, I
can attempt to use Wine(X) to get this game working under Linux.

My point is, if "Day of the Tentacle" was developed for the Linux
platform from the mid 90's, what are the chances of that game still
natively functioning under todays Linux platform?

It's not unheard of for backward compatibility to be dropped in the name
of advancing the functionality of Linux at times.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Carlos