Re: uninstalling custom kernel and query on stale files from previous kernels

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:40:34 -0800, Aaron Matteson wrote:

>> Related to this is the question: How can I custom build a kernel, based
>> off the latest available, say 2174, as an rpm so that it can be easily
>> uninstalled or updated via up2date? Rather than going through the make
>> xconfig ; make dep ; .. etc. process.
>
> Not sure about that but i would peek at the RPM HOWTO and see about
> building a custom spec file and building the src.rpm from that. (May or
> may not be the best way but hopefully a nudge in the right general
> direction) :)
>
> If you figure this out post your results and how you accomplished this to
> the list, i would like to see how this is best done and i am sure there
> are more then a few people that would benefit as well. TIA :)

Ok, will do . :-)

>> The other query I have is looking in /lib/modules and /usr/src, there's
>> still directories for 2.4.22-1.2149, even though I've updated to later
>> releases. Is it fine just to delete these 2149 entries?
>
> Yes, when you install a new kernel your old ones are not deleted. The new
> one is simply installed parallel to your old ones. I do not think you
> would want to simply upgrade your kernel because if there was some problem
> you would be gifted with the job of recovering your system which can turn
> pretty ugly seeing as how there is no good kernel to boot.

Actually, what I should have mentioned here is that I have indeed rpm -e'd
the old 2149 kernel (after making sure the newer one boots!), but noticed
the directories I listed above as still being there. And yes, I always rpm
-i the new kernels, not rpm -U. :^)

Thanks for the input.
--
Matt