Re: uninstalling custom kernel and query on stale files from previous kernels

Matt H. became daring and sent these 0.9K bytes,
> Hi
> I built a custom kernel from the 2166 sources -- 2.4.22-1.2166.nptlcustom.
> However, it's time to delete that as newer updates are available. So,
> would deleting all entries in /boot/, /lib/modules/, and the grub.conf
> entry relating to 2166.nptlcustom be all that's necessary?

delete the kernel from /boot/
delete the kernel modules directory from /lib/modules/ and erase the
entry in /etc/grub.conf

Just as you said. I would warn you to do this only after you are running
an older kernel or a newer one.

So your methodology is correct.

> Related to this is the question: How can I custom build a kernel, based
> off the latest available, say 2174, as an rpm so that it can be easily
> uninstalled or updated via up2date? Rather than going through the make
> xconfig ; make dep ; .. etc. process.

Not sure about that but i would peek at the RPM HOWTO and see about
building a custom spec file and building the src.rpm from that. (May or
may not be the best way but hopefully a nudge in the right general
direction) :)

If you figure this out post your results and how you accomplished this
to the list, i would like to see how this is best done and i am sure
there are more then a few people that would benefit as well. TIA :)

> The other query I have is looking in /lib/modules and /usr/src, there's
> still directories for 2.4.22-1.2149, even though I've updated to later
> releases. Is it fine just to delete these 2149 entries?

Yes, when you install a new kernel your old ones are not deleted. The
new one is simply installed parallel to your old ones. I do not think
you would want to simply upgrade your kernel because if there was some
problem you would be gifted with the job of recovering your system which
can turn pretty ugly seeing as how there is no good kernel to boot.

--
   /\o   Aaron M Matteson - http://cryptosystem.us
    /\/  GnuPG key fingerprint is in the header