Re: PuTTY 0.54 rpms (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, WipeOut wrote:

Jeff Vian wrote:

WipeOut wrote:

Quite simple really.. I usually need to map at least 3 ports to work across the ssh link on each of the servers I am accessing.. So the command line would end up being something like this..

This is a real PITA to remember or have to type out each time I want to connect..

Easy enough to either create a script or an alias per server. Then the brain does not have to remember all that each time

Well you learn something new every day.. I did not know about "alias" for complex command lines..

and if it's a little too complicated for an alias (that is, it needs an
argument or two), there's always shell functions.

True, but even complex commands work as an alias. Command line optios override ( some/all ) of the options embeded in the alias. See the 'rm' command for root in all versions of RH/fedora I have used since abt 4.2. It is an alias for 'rm -i' but the use of the -f option will override that.

One note is that when you create an alias for a normal command, the alias takes precedence. You can override this precedence by using the full path to the normal command.

A smartly written script will allow additonal options to be used from the command line as well.