Re: PuTTY 0.54 rpms (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

WipeOut wrote:

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

WipeOut wrote:

Awesome, thanks dude!!.. I had no idea there was a Linux version of PuTTY, I have been running the windows version under wine for ages..

Later..

Out of curiosity, why would you ever want to run PuTTY under wine rather than just using openssh or the other tools that PuTTY was written to emulate?

Quite simple really.. I usually need to map at least 3 ports to work across the ssh link on each of the servers I am accessing.. So the command line would end up being something like this..

This is a real PITA to remember or have to type out each time I want to connect..

Easy enough to either create a script or an alias per server. Then the brain does not have to remember all that each time

With PuTTY I am able to simply setup the profile and save it, then each time I need to connect it simply a case of double clicking the profile and logging in.. All the ports are maped and there is very little chance of making a mistake..

That is useful,

I agree the the command line is easy enough when you are just wanting to connect with a server in a standard terminal session..