Re: borked my grub boot config and can no longer boot my old kernel

Matt wrote:
Hi
Just finished installing test1. I left the paritions for FC1
well alone (hda2 - hda10) and installed test1 from hda11 and above. Upon
reboot I found that the new grub menu no longer contained my FC1 kernel as
a boot option.

I think it was because I mistakenly (or more like brainlessly!) chose to
write the test1 grub config to the MBR instead of the first sector?

So what can I do to get FC1 back on the menu? I booted to the FC1 with
linux rescue but wasn't sure what do with the grub config to get it back.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated. :-)

I run three versions on two different hard disks. When you install a new copy of Fedora or Redhat, you do not see the information for the previous installs. They are there, but not in the grub.conf file.

You can mount your boot partition for Fedora 1 and then with and editor cut and paste the information from your grub/grub.conf file into your newly installed Fedora core2 test 1 addition. Then you could boot either system.

You can also use the rescue disk and then select the fedora 1 installation. If the boot sector is /dev/hda1 or /dev/hdb1 you can chainload the other installations from the installation on the /hda11 and above installations.

Here is an explaination of what I did.

To get grub to boot from a chainloader with the /dev/hda1 installation, I had to boot into the installation that had the boot mount as /dev/hda1 and run grub-install /dev/hda1 for that installation. I booted into the installation that had /dev/hdb1 as the boot partition and ran grub-install /dev/hdb1.

On the installation that was installed on the higher order partitions I let this be installed on /dev/hda because of BIOS problems and could not mount the distribution any other way.

an excerpt of what I added to the higher order devices is posted below. The benifit with this method is that each installation has it's own boot partition and when updated it updates its independent grub.conf file.

I hope I shed a bit of direction and was not confusing you much.

Good luck,

Jim

-------------

title Fedora Core (2.6.2-1.74)
	root (hd1,4)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.2-1.74 ro root=LABEL=/1
	initrd /initrd-2.6.2-1.74.img
title Bootloader HDA1
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1