Re: Installing Core 1 on HP notebook

Devjit Gopalpur wrote:

I am trying to install Core 1. Config is AMD Athlon-XP(M) 1.87 GHz, 192 MB RAM + 64 MB shared video mem, 15" XGA TFT with ATI Radeon card. I dont seem to be able to proceed with the installation after the kernel image is uncompressed from boot CD, in either text or graphics mode. Is this a problem with drivers/resolution? I would appreciate any help/suggestions/insight.

My experience also, in fact I was unable to boot rescue off the CD either. I have no resolution to the problem of hanging while loading the boot image off the CD, but I do have a workaround.

Use the boot CD, but at the initial prompt, enter "linux askmethod acpi=on" (for rescue, "linux askmethod rescue acpi=on"). When prompted for the boot method, choose one of the methods other than CD. These will require advance setup to place the contents of all the installation CDs in the place you indicate for booting, e.g. on disk if loading from disk, or as an NFS share, if you choose that method. Directions for setting these up are in the README file on the first CD.

I had great success using the NFS method.

  "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
   you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran