Re: Audio CD woes on a Dell Inspiron 1100

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 18:54, Chris Desjardins wrote:
> Hi, I can't seem to get my computer to play or should I say mount my audio
> cds. I have created a cdrom icon on my KDE desktop and when I click on it so
> that it automatically mounts it says..."Could not mount device. The reported
> error was: mount: only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom". So I went
> to the terminal and switched to root and tried both mount /mnt/cdrom and
> mount /dev/cdrom and it said, respectively "mount: /dev/cdrom is not a block
> device". Anyone have any ideas? I was able to get my audio CDs to work when
> I initally installed Fedora then I started messing around with trying to get
> my cd burner to work and now I can't play audio cds.
> Chris

Audio CDs do not contain a normal filesystem like a data CD and cannot
be mounted.  You can run gnome-cd or from your Fedora Menu go to "Sound
& Video" -> "CD Player" and you will be able to play the audio CD.

> PS-I am getting the same error when I try to view a DVD.

You wil need to play a DVD through an application as well.  You can use
MPlayer, Xine or Totem to play that DVD.  I use MPlayer for all video
files and Xine to play DVDs since Xine supports DVD menus.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA