Re: Powerful and Stable PC Configuration for Linux (Fedora)

Ben Stringer wrote:
On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 15:51, Igor Zhidkov wrote:

For now I've chosen the following configuration:

CPU:  PENTIUM IV 2.8 GHZ 512CACHE 800 MHz HT
MotherBoard: ASUS P4P800 i865PE/DUAL DDR400/LAN
Memory : 2 X 512 MB DDR 400 MHz
Video Card: 128 MB ATI RADEON 9200 TVOUT AGP X8
HDD: WD 120GB/7200/8MB CACHE
DVD-ROM: ASUS
FDD 1.44": PANASONIC/SONY
Case: CASE for PENTIUM IV 2FANS

Please suggest me any changes which can increase stability of the the
configuration during long-time 100% load. Or give an examples of PC
configurations you've purchased recently.

I'd be inclined to go for slower memory (one step down), SCSI disk
(arguably better reliability) and to introduce some degree of RAID (I'd
go with software raid1 - mirroring, on 2 different disks).
By "one step down" you meant 333 Mhz memory instead of 400 Mhz, isn't it ?
Please correct me if I'm wrong: I thought that memory that support for example 400 Mhz is more robust, as 333 because if to overclock this 333Mhz memory to 400 Mhz it will produce errors because of overheating for example.

Is not a good solution to buy 400 Mhz memory and to use it at 333 Mhz - won't it be more stable than original 333 Mhz memory ?

The pitfall is that most new motherboards has a feature in BIOS which adjusts bus speed and memory timings itself and I do not know whether I'll be allowed to change manually the bus speed for example.

Nevertheless,
Thanks for reply!

Igor.