Re: Hello...

Two short answers. This group is fairly chatty, so if you have a good init script it might not make it in this time but shared expertise is seldom wasted.

As to MySQL, I asked about that some time ago and the comment was something about licensing. The other problem for me is that I use php, so if I upgrade mysql I have to redo or build my own php config as well. It's certainly doable but I have other things to keep me busy and not enough brain cells to share.

ciao!

leam

Thanks for the quick reply.

Should I post the init script here? Or is there a better place for that sort of thing?

As a footnote, the mysql/php thing kind of sucks but that's the price you pay for integration. :) I'm looking at rebuilding xfree 4.3.0 from source for the second time in two days on my gentoo laptop (security updates), though it handles the mysql/php problem quite nicely -- as long as you've got hardware that handles lots of compiler time well. :)

Gentoo is a very interesting experiment in this arena but I think people in general prefer convenience to ultimate flexibility (especially when it costs in terms of convenience). I'm still on the fence on that point...

Marty