Re: Kernel Panic with 2.44.22-1.2166

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 14:19, Bobby Ryan Newberry wrote:

I tried to use the new kernel today with some negative results. I received a kernel panic with the following errors:

Kernel requires old insmod, but couldn't run /bin/insmod.old No such file or directory

ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally

mount: error 19 mounting ext 3

pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2

umount /initrd/proc failed: 2

Now I've upgraded before (am currently using 2.44.22-1.2149) without problems, and I'm using the RPM. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

-Ryan Newberry

I came across this same problem this morning. The problem was that my
initrd directory was missing from the root filesystem. After booting
with a rescue CD and recreating initrd all was good.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Could you be a little more specific? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "recreating initrd."

-Ryan Newberry