PDF with password protection

I solved my own problem, but thought I would post the resolution since I didn't find anything in the archives about it.
(though I am still curious about the fact that my version of gpdf is listed as 0.110 but when I go to the gnome software map the highest version is 0.105)

I'm using gpdf. It works opening "normal" PDF files, but when I try to open a password-protected PDF from my bank,
I get this error message :

"The PDF file is encrypted and requires a password. This progam does not support password-protected files"

So I tried downloading the Linux version of acroread from adobe, but that one gives me errors opening any PDF (password or not) :
Warning: charset "UTF-8" not supported, using "ISO8859-1".
Aborted

Finally, I read that gpdf is based on xpdf, so I tried installing Xpdf from http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html and it worked.