Re: Halt not working

Joseph Rice wrote:

I do have had the same problem. I use init 0 instead of halt. you can just set up an alias for halt alias halt='init 0'

I have historically had one or more machines that failed to power off when I used the shutdown command.
halt, shutdown, and poweroff all had the same behavior. Using "init 0" had the same results.

After reading this thread I added the "apic=yes" option to the grub.conf file (default is apparently apic=no) and now they work perfectly. They all shutdown and power off as expected, with no hangs or messages waiting for the user to turn it off.

-----Original Message----- From: Gerrit <gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: Alberto Molteni <alberto_molteni@xxxxxxxxx> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:40:55 +0100 Subject: Re: Halt not working

Alberto Molteni wrote:

  When I try to halt the machine I see all the apps
shutting down OK (except the mouse services, but I've
read that's quite normal) and then... nothing happens!
It gets as far as to:

Flushing ide devices: hda hdb
Power down.

or something like that. And then the computer hangs,
and I can just press the restart button. Rebooting
works (except a few occasional hangs on "Unmounting
file systems", but that doesn't bother me much).
Is there something wrong with the OS? Or is it
something to do with the BIOS or the ATX supply?

You need to configure APM, Advanced Power Management, but some hardware is unable to do that.

Gerrit.