Re: Figuring out redhat-config-httpd

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

Hello, everyone:

Since my work still requires to use Windows, I am trying to use Fedora to edit my website so I get some more exposure to it on the desktop rather than just as a remote server. The purpose here is to set up a self-contained environment where Apache, MySQL, etc. are all running locally such that I can edit the site and actively test it without having to be on the network.

Although I can configure httpd.conf by hand, I am deliberately sticking with the redhat-config-httpd tool so that I can test it and provide feedback. Having said that, this is the procedure I have followed with no joy so far; I would appreciate any comments or suggestions as to what I may have done wrong:

1. Set up Apache to listen only on 127.0.0.1 port 80. (Possible bug: display shows "127.0.0.180" instead of "127.0.0.1:80", but httpd.conf is correctly written).

How did you verify it was correctly written? Did you restart httpd after modifying the file so the server was using the new config data?

2. Set up a line saying "127.0.0.1 simpaticus.localdomain simpaticus" in /etc/hosts.

someone else said you must use the default "127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost" in this location.
They are correct but you can modify the line to read
" 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost simpaticus.localdomain simpaticus"
Then it will still see the localhost entry as well as the simpaticus entry and simpaticus will be resolved to the loopback address..

3. Verified that /etc/host.conf says "order hosts, dns" and verified that there is no DNS server running on this machine.

On my install (and historically on all Linux versions I have used) the host.conf file contains " order hosts,bind "
Don't know that this is the issue and others have commented on different parts of this message, but if this is not correct the machine cannot use DNS at all.

4. Set up a name virtual host in redhat-config-httpd pointing to /home/rpaiz/www.simpaticus.com. I can provide details, but honestly don't see where something could possibly be misconfigured. The named vhost is "simpaticus".

Based on my past experience with Apache, this really ought to be a no-brainer, but then again perhaps the brain is off. Entering "simpaticus" or "simpaticus.localdomain" in the browser URL window always leads to a "Forbidden: You do not have permission to see / on this machine" error. All file permissions are set to 644 and directories are set to 755, with owner rpaiz.rpaiz.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? Dohs?