Re: Cable modem, router, and network card

Bob Chiodini wrote:

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:36, Peter Reed wrote:

I was about to purchase a cable modem, router and nic card Any sugestions on
what I should purchase for the above would be appreciated. I of course run
fedora so something that will be compatible with fedora would be optimal. And
thank you for all the fine reading.
Peter Reed

Peter,

Here in Bellsouth land they provided the modem for free after rebates. The modem has router and firewall capabilities, but only one ethernet
port. I needed a few more. I purchased a D-Link 614 wireless/wired
router. It works fine, but...

I could not update the firmware from linux. This was required as the
router crashed and would not reboot following a certain wireless setup. The firmware upgrade seems to have fixed it, but it was web-based and
required IE. D-Link offers no Linux support, they do windows and not
much else (read that any way you like).

The other web-based configuration tools work fine with Galeon/Mozilla.

Recommendation:  Look at Linksys, at least their routers are Linux
based.  Yes, I've read about the GPL issues with Linksys.

Bob...

Thanks for all the help however my biggest concern is the network card for my machine. From what I have read on this list they can lead to some real trouble. Any info on what card will work with fedora and/or linux in general would be a big help. I will probably go with the linksys router but, the network card would be the biggest issue. I do not need wireless on my desktop so just a good network card that is compatible with linux. The modem will might be an issue since Adelphia says I must have windows so I will probably have to reload winxp back on to the machine for the initial setup.

Peter