Re: Laptops / Games / Fedora & battery life

Batteries wear out. discharging lithium-ion or polymer batteries to the
end of their usable charge is a good way to damage them faster...

to quote some motorola engineers:

The relationship between DOD (depth of discharge) and cycle life is
logarithmic. In other words, the number of cycles yielded by a battery
goes up exponentially the lower the DOD. Research studies have shown that
the typical cellular phone user depletes their battery about 25 to 30
percent before recharging.  Testing has shown that at this low level of
DOD a lithium-ion battery can expect between 5 and 6 times the cycle
numbers of a battery discharged to the one hundred percent DOD level
continuously.

http://www.motorola.com/ies/ESG/testlab/article1.htm

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx