Re: Mysql

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:07:10 -0500 Mitch Wiedemann <mc2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I put the data in /home/mysql so that I can use rsync to move all
> /home/* to a backup server each night.

> I suppose, now that you mention it, running a mysqldump  to /home/mysql
> and THEN running my rsync would be better since I realize the data table
> copy isn't the best idea in the world, although it hasn't caused me any
> trouble so far...

you've been incredibly lucky and the database isn't very busy.

copying a live database that's doing much of anything at all is largely
guaranteed to fail sooner or later.

dump, copy the backup, and restore on the second system. that, or
install some sort of replication solution.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx