Re: Can someone explain the /sys filesystem?

Uttered Daniel Durgin <nu1sg@xxxxxxxxx>, spake thus:

> I looked around /sys, and it seems very easy to
> understand.  But when I boot to the 2.6 kernel I made,
> CD-ROM is /dev/scd0, not /sys/block/hdc.(ide=scsi in
> NOT enabled.

The 2.6 kernel added the "/sys" filesystem to make it fast, cheap and
easy for kernel-level code, such as device drivers, to exchange data
with user-land programs.  Mere mortals can usually ignore it
completely.

> So how does /sys relate to the /dev filesystem?

It doesn't ;-)

> I thought it was supposed to replace it.  What about
> /proc, is that going too?

Nope.  The "/proc" stuff is all text status files and the like,
designed for human consumption.  I guess since the humans are staying
around ...

You may be thinking of the "devfs" filesystem.  That has definitely
evaporated, being broken, unfixable and unsupported.  It's replaced by
the "udev" filesystem.  The goal is to provide persistant device
names, regardless of how disks are partitioned or attached.

Cheers!