Re: RedHat, Fedora future?

Bevan C. Bennett wrote:

M.Hockings wrote:

<snip>

Lastly, I have installed IBM's WSAD in RH9 and FC1 and it gets installed into /opt/IBM/... so I have to assume that the installer does have control over where things are installed. It was not an RPM install though.

I hate /opt. I hate it soooo much. I curse the day Sun and HP started using it. I hate it because / and /usr were usually separate partitions, with all the extra space for installing programs going into /usr instead of /. Usually I end up having to link /opt to /usr/opt and hope that the installation program in question is smart enough to check that there's "enough space" on the correct partition without being too smart and trying to 'fix' my /opt directory.

Interesting. Of all the install related things in Linux this one confused me the most. I wanted to poke through what was installed but could not find it right off. This /opt directory was, to say the least, unexpected. So in that regard I'd tend to agree that opt is not desirable as well as your point about spurious directories in / making partition size management a challenge...

Mike