Re: System lockup with SMP Kernel.

Paul Furness wrote:

Hello.

Yeah, I've got this happening, and I think it's something to do with
cron or similar. I'm running a workstation and if I leave it on
overnight, it is always locked up in the morning. But it also happens
sometimes during the day, while I'm working on it, and the important
thing I noticed is that when the desktop freezes, the clock always reads
zero seconds - eg today it locked hard at 10:49:00. This suggests a
scheduler (like cron) causing the problem.

I'm not quite clear on why it should only affect the smp, though. I'm
gonna try recompiling the kernel (minimising what I don't need) and see
if that makes any difference.

It might also be instructive to stop cron for 24 hours and see if the
thing still hangs.

Paul.

Please let us know what the outcome of your tests is.. then maybe we can feed back to the dev team and get it fixed in an updated kernel..

Later..