Re: Link 2 computers thanks to a "crossed" network cable

Coume - Lubox.com wrote:
Hello,

I have been using Fedora Core 1 since it came out, but there is still
one thing that I cannot manage to get working :(
I cannot manage to create a network between my linux laptop and another
computer under windows (or linux). It was working fine with Mandrake :(

I'm able to log onto the university network and then access the
Internet.
BUT if I connect my laptop directly to another computer thanks to a
"crossed" network cable, I cannot get the computers to "speak" together.

Is one of you managed to plug 2 computers like that??

It occured to me that maybe there is no media detected (Since this works with Mandrake).

Redhat and Fedora uses media detection for ethernet networks to determine if the system should wait at boot time for the network to come up..

Try adding this to your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file :

check_link_down(){
	return 1;
}

ie my ifcfg-eth0 looks like this (You may not have the HWADDR line or the PEERDNS line):

DEVICE=eth0
check_link_down(){
	return 1;
}