Re: Fewer partitions are better (Re: Disk Layout/Partitioning Practices)

At 13:55 1/30/2004, you wrote:
<snip>
On a related issue, is it possible to combine several drives/partitions into one logical Linux file system?

In other words, if I have 3 hard drives, I might want to use one partition on hda for /boot, another partition on hdb for /swap, and use all remaining space on all other drives/partitions as the root fs.
Windows 2000 can do something similar, can Linux do this?

What you want is LVM (Logical Volume Manager). Version 2 is just out, I think. In addition to this, possibly you might find some use of RAID useful.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com