Re: "ntpdate" versus "ntpd"

Rick Stevens wrote:
I didn't mean to sound as if I were criticizing you.  Your surmise is
correct.  "ntpd -q" is the same as running ntpd with the "iburst" config
option.  It does have the effect of dragging the clock into sync when
it's way off, which is what ntpdate does/did.

Actually, to drag the clock into sync what it's "way" off, you also need to include the "-g" flag to tell it to ignore it's normal cutoff.

Wow. It's been so long since I needed to look at the ntpd manpage that I had no idea they were going to deprecate ntpdate. It sounds like they have good reasons, but thanks to the original poster to bringing this pending change to my attention.