Re: passwd_compat: ldap?

OK, I'm still trying to get this straight. Things work, but I have some questions about exactly *how*. I hope someone can help, as I'm not a very good source code reader.

I guess I really want to understand why it is that you need pam_ldap at all for 'auth' and 'account' settings in '/etc/pam.d/system-auth'. I'm using 'passwd_compat: ldap' successfully right now, but not if I change my pam settings to just use pam_unix.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that glibc's libnss_compat only implements an understanding of the '+' syntax in the passwd/shadow files to perform a search, but doesn't implement doing an actual bind operation to perform authentication. I'm guessing nss_ldap doesn't support a bind for authentication either (or doesn't support returning a success/fail value back to the caller). I *believe* that this is different from the Sun implementation (not that that's necessarily bad - I just want to make sure I understand this right). I'm pretty sure you don't even need pam_ldap (even if you've replaced their {pam,nss}_ldap with PADL's) to perform authentication against LDAP in that environment.

Since nss_ldap/nss_compat can do a search, they must support binding, since they bind anonymously to search. Why, then, can they not perform a bind for the purpose of authentication - or do I have something else goofed up in my logic?

Thanks,
brian.