passwd_compat: ldap?

Hi,

I've asked this question before, and on several other mailing lists, but no answer yet.

I want to be able to authenticate users using 'compat' against an ldap directory, such that this notation works (in nsswitch.conf)

passwd: compat
passwd_compat: ldap

I've heard rumours that this does work in RHEL 3, so I'm trying to figure out what the magic incantation is to get it working in FC 1. Under FC1, the syntax in nsswitch doesn't cause an error - but it doesn't enforce the '+username' notation in /etc/passwd either - anyone with a valid account on the ldap server gets in. Presumably, this is a glibc-specific, and not a nss_ldap-specific issue, since libnss_compat is bundled with glibc.

I am wildly grateful for anything resembling a clue here.
Thanks!