Re: Windows virus lately?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Trevor Smith wrote:

> On January 28, 2004 02:27 pm, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > As long as it's not a harm to linux / fedora I suggest you simply ignore
> > it. So no more posts about windoze viruses on this list please.
>
> Christoph, I would like to point out that my comment about Windows users and
> their problems with the virus was background information. The question I
> asked was, "Do you think I, using Fedora Core 1 (a GNU/Linux distribution),
> am susceptible to / possibly spreading this virus?"

If you box delivers mail it will deliver the trojan just like any other
mail. Calling it a virus is inappropriate given that it requires user
action to spread... Now if you have 30,000 mail users like we do, you may
want to take steps on you mail servers to limit the potential impact to
your customers, and likewise to keep them from sharing it with the rest of
the internet.

> I respectfully suggest that it was and is an appropriate question for this
> list.

Sort of, the net effect of this and other trojan payloads on mail servers,
is to either increase the amount of mail you deliver or the amount of
processing you have to do before delivering it... I'd prefer to do neither
frankly, but I don't get that choice.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx