Re: still can't get a decent display with intel 865 video card

Robert,
I had the same problem on a dell optiplex gx270 running RHL9, it wouldn't do more than 640x480 8bpp .
What bios revision are you running?

Dell's gx270 bios revision A03 seems to ignore the "onboard video buffer" option , these are the relevant lines
from the kernel ring buffer using a03 and setting the video buffer to 8mb on bios:

agpgart: Tungsten Graphics version 20021029
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M
agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 865G Chipset.
agpgart: PGTBL_CTL value is 0x7ffe0001
agpgart: Detected 892K stolen memory.

Downgrading the bios to A02 corrected the problem :

agpgart: Tungsten Graphics version 20021029
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M
agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 865G Chipset.
agpgart: PGTBL_CTL value is 0x7ffe0001
agpgart: Detected 8060K stolen memory.

I can at least have a decent 1024x768 16bpp now .. has anyone seen this problem before?

Franco.

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

 i'm still baffled as to how i can get a decent resolution and bit depth with
a newly-installed FC 1 system.

 i have a dell optiplex GX270, with a dell E772p monitor capable of 1024x768
and an intel 865 video card.  so far, in terms of display, i've been able to get

 1024x768 at 8bpp
 800x600 at 16bpp

naturally, i'd like 1024x768 at at least 16bpp, but every attempt to configure
for a more respectable resolution and bpp fails.  when i've tried, and looked
at the X diagnostics, among other things, i see

 "(EE) I810(0): No Video BIOS modes for chosen depth."

i've been into the BIOS and, regarding video, there's not a lot to play with:

 Primary Video Controller:  (either "Onboard" or "Auto")
 Onboard Video Buffer: (either 1 or 8 MB)

i've tried different combinations and nothing seems to work.  any thoughts?
i can't believe that a new system is incapable of something as basic as
1024x768 at 16bpp.  is there some trick to this video card that's not
obvious?  thanks.

rday