Re: new install with Via southbridge 8237 chipset

Hi,
I've gotten Fedora Core 1 to work on the SATA disk now. Here's what I did:

I installed a second, parallel ATA disk in the computer and installed a
basic Fedora system on it. I configured the newly installed Fedora to be
able to connect to the internet and updated the kernel to version
2.4.22-1.2149.nptl. Rebooted (with the new kernel) and mounted the SATA
disc. I then created a new initial ramdisk image with mkinitrd (see "man
mkinitrd" for details). Make sure /etc/modules.conf contains a line like
this for the sata_via module:
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_via
mkinitrd checks for a scsi_hostadapter line in /etc/modules.conf. Then I
replaced /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl.img with the newly created one
and copied the entire Fedora system over to the sata disc. I then added an
entry for the system on the sata disk to /boot/grub/grub.conf and rebooted
into the new system. Then I installed grub on the sata disc, shutdown the
machine, removed the second harddisc, booted into the new system and that
was it.

Installing grub was somewhat of a hassle as the ids for the harddisks
changed after I removed the parallel ata one.

I you have any more questions, feel free to ask me.

Alternatively, you could wait for Fedora Core 2 to come out and see if
that works. FC2 test1 is supposed to come out in about a week. I think
there will be iso's for that, too.

Bye,
Levin