Re: Background details on MySQL installation

Joseph Mello wrote:
I am getting up to speed on MySQL. The folder locations for MySQL that are used by FC1 don’t match those mentioned in my MySQL books. Does anyone know of a document that describes the details of the configuration FC1 uses for the MySQL provided in the distro?

Just a quick note- super-glue your hair to your head before you try to install the MySQL C++ API or something similar to a Fedora install of MySQL. You will be ripping your hair out in short order otherwise.

I installed Fedora with the bundled Apache, PHP, and MySQL. The rationale was that letting Fedora install everything would save me the headache of making sure that mysql, php, and apache can all play nicely together if I had installed the packages separately. With the Fedora installation, they do play very nicely together, but the programs are definitely installed to nonstandard locations. To clarify, nonstandard here means "not where php, mysql, and apache would install themselves by default, i.e., /usr/local/".

I noticed that nonstandard locations, but everything works great so I didn't really care until I wanted to interface c++ programs to the database server. I have tried for about 2 weeks to get the mysql c++ api installed, but I have pretty much given up on it until I reinstall Fedora with mysql 4.x installed separately.

Danny