Re: Background details on MySQL installation

Joseph Mello wrote:
Looks simple.

The books I was looking at were saying MySQL was in /usr/local/mysql
Ok, I am also relatively new to Linux, so knowing where things are at,
brings some comfort that I can find what I need to.

Please bottom post, Joseph.

If you install MySQL from the source tarball using the defaults:

	# configure
	# make
	# make install

it ends up in /usr/local/mysql.  If you build it so that it looks native
to the system:

	# configure --prefix=/
	# make
	# make install

it ends up the way it's distributed in Red Hat and FC1.