Re: samba file server slow

Jonathan Christison wrote:
thanks for every one's help last time about this but its still slow... i
followed every ones advise and no change its still runs at 5mega bytes
per second over a 100 mega bits per second hub
then i realised when i was swaping files about on my fedora pc up stairs
on gkrellm the server is using rx not tx but yet there is a small amount
of tx packets flyin round my network.
do i need to configure my network card to use TX-100base some how ? thanks for yore help again

- Jonny

Don't confuse megabits and megabytes. You state both in the above.

Look at <http://www.aplawrence.com/Words/2003_09_19.html> for a simple description.

5megabytes * 8bits-per-byte = 40megabits.

From your description you are transfering about 40megabits of data per second which is close to the maximum of some harddrives. I would say that your network card is working at 100Mbits per second. You may be running into hardware limitations as well.

There is overhead in working on a 100Base-TX network that will use up extra bandwidth so a 10meg file may actually use 12meg of bandwidth.

I have used a program called Netpipe to test network speeds. I havn't seen an rpm for it yet.

--
Robin Laing