How to increase color depth on an Intel 845GL-based system

My laptop uses the Intel 845GL chipset, and I'm unable to get it to run
X in anything other than 256-color mode.

Searching the archives suggests that I'm SOL because of a video BIOS
limitation (I only get 1MB of shared system RAM on my motherboard and I
can't change it).

I've tried the "VideoRAM 16384" update in XF86Conf, but it does not
work.  When I try it, the logfile tells me that there's an "unsupported
function".  And an old post from Mike Harris at Red Hat (on the
psyche-list) indicates that Windows systems hack around the BIOS to
avoid the limitation.  You can guess, of course, that there's no trouble
when I boot to Windows XP. It will run in high-color mode...in fact, it
needs to be there.

Anyone have any newer information...and any luck...getting an Intel 845
system out of 8-bit color mode on FC1?

Thanks!  Erik