Re: Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 19:57, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 06:32:37PM -0500, Simon Perreault wrote:
> > On January 12, 2004 17:40, Jeffrey Stephens wrote:
> > >   Does anyone know why the Fedora distribution does not include the
> > > "kpackage" application?

> > That's because kpackage duplicated some functionality already
> > present in the Red Hat package management application.

> > IMHO, it is not a good reason to remove it and it should be brought
> > back. It works, and does not break anything.
>
> Goodness I want to disagree.  I suspect if my favorite tool was
> excluded I would be grumpy.
>
> I constantly marvel at how much STUFF is included in Redhat-FC1.
>
> Today I have 1336 packages loaded ( rpm -qa | wc) on this FC1 box.
> These seem to bring along a boat load of files. Some 271282 by my
> count ( rpm -qa --filesbypkg | wc ).
>
> OK I have big enough disks that I do not have to be selective yet.
> But my brain hurts when I think about the pile.
>
> Thus, I am pleased that RH is of a mind to not include packages with
> duplicate functionality.

    Kpackage provides quite a bit of "additional" (and I would argue
"critical") functionality that is not provided by Redhat's PMS.  In addition,
the very thing you are railing against, i.e., "bring along a boatload of
files", is a problem that Kpackage is particularly well designed to solve.
IMO it is the best available utility for identifying, locating, and removing
unwanted/unneeded packages.

   Almost the first thing I do after installing a new distro is to fire up
Kpackage, scroll through the list of installed packages, highlight those I
don't want, and remove them.  Of course Kpackage uses RPM to check
dependencies so that you don't inadvertently screw things up.   This is why I
consider Kpackage indispensible.

Regards,
JeffS