Re: How do I know when a reboot is required?

On Tuesday 13 Jan 2004 2:41 pm, Wade Chandler wrote:
> Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> >>
> >>In principle, the only update for which a reboot is needed is Linux
> >> (since it is the most common kernel of the GNU system), but even this
> >> may change in the future.
> >
> > That would be good, it would certainly massively cut downtime on servers.
> >
> > The only way I can think of implementing this would be to perform a kind
> > of quick suspend/resume, where the "resume" remaps to a new running
> > kernel, but surely all services and current tasks would need to be
> > restarted too.
> >
> > -
> > K.
>
> Remember, if you are updating packages for programs which already have
> the .so or other file loaded, the only way to get them to start using
> that new code is to restart them.  So, if you do a full system update,
> it may be faster to reboot, switch run levels and back again, or create
> scripts to restart the pieces you update often.  I usually just reboot
> after an update.  It saves me the headache of remembering.  Unless you
> are using an encrypted file system or some other type of password
> protected startup you could automate this.  Though most server updates
> aren't a good idea to automate.  You might break functionality your
> server applications use by not reading change logs and readmes.
>
> Wade

All wise words, experience has also taught me a reboot prior to a large system
update is a prudent policy, especially if the server has been up for a few
months, just to ensure no gremlins have crept in.  Then at least you know the
system was good prior to the changes.

--
Alan D