Re: How do I know when a reboot is required?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:44:16 +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 23:36, Don wrote:

With MS Windows, it seems a reboot is required after nearly every
software update.

In principle, the only update for which a reboot is needed is Linux (since
it is the most common kernel of the GNU system), but even this may change
in the future.

That would be good, it would certainly massively cut downtime on servers.

The only way I can think of implementing this would be to perform a kind
of quick suspend/resume, where the "resume" remaps to a new running
kernel, but surely all services and current tasks would need to be
restarted too.

-
K.

Remember, if you are updating packages for programs which already have the .so or other file loaded, the only way to get them to start using that new code is to restart them. So, if you do a full system update, it may be faster to reboot, switch run levels and back again, or create scripts to restart the pieces you update often. I usually just reboot after an update. It saves me the headache of remembering. Unless you are using an encrypted file system or some other type of password protected startup you could automate this. Though most server updates aren't a good idea to automate. You might break functionality your server applications use by not reading change logs and readmes.

Wade