Re: computation-friendly kernels

Dave Jones wrote:
How much RAM exactly ? It's possible the VM changes that went into
2.4.23 may help on big boxes. It is quite a radical amount of change
however (which is why it never made it into FC1 at all)

It's "only" 2GB of RAM, so it shouldn't involve the newer 'big-big-bigmem' support code.

> RHEL and Fedora have a completely different VM.
Ah, then the kernel differences are significant enough not to be easily enumerated or replaced. How do their VMs compare to 2.6?

FC1 - Stock 2.4 VM from 2.4.22 (Before the recent large -aa merge) Taroon - Rik van Riel's rmap vm. 2.6 - Completely different again, but with some elements of rmap vm (Ie the actual reverse mappings part).

Thanks! That's extremely useful. Since 2.6 will eventually be making it into my favorite distributions, I'll see if I can get one installed for comparative testing.

Thanks again for the time and answers.
I'll try to continue to help others in return.