Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages

> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:26:19 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Proper ettiquette for posting messages
>
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Tom Mitchell wrote:
<snip>
> The sad thing is that I had my boss convinced to get rid of all of our
> aging NT4 domain controllers and file servers, and switch to RH9 running
> samba.  Now, fedora changes too rapidly to use as a server, and we don't
> have the cash for RHEL.  So it looks like we're stuck with NT4 for awhile.
> *sigh*
>
> I was even wearing him down about linux on the desktop, but now that RHL
> is no longer an option, my bosses postion is basically "if we're gonna
> have to pay that much for a desktop os (RHEL/WS) then we may as well stick
> with one that we know (windows)".
>
> RHEL/WS Basic edition is $169.  WinXP Pro upgrade is $169.99.  What with
> having to re-educate all of our users, etc, there's just no way.  Oh,
> well.  *sigh*
>
> Ben

Check out some of these for a server OS:

  White Box Enterprise Linux - http://whiteboxlinux.org/index.html

  Tao Linux - http://taolinux.org/

  cAos or CentOS - http://caosity.org/

They have different pluses/minuses, but all are related to RHEL.
I like WBEL but opinions vary. Might help with the *sigh*s :)

None of the RH-derived variants is likely to be good for your Windoze
users - not very well-rated as a desktop OS.  Xandros, Lycoris, SuSE,
Mandrake, and Lindows [if you're not afraid of running as root :( ]
have all gotten better reviews in that area.  Good luck with your
convincing your boss.

Phil Schaffner