Re: Solution for Up2date problems

Fred Nastos said:
> On January 6, 2004 11:28 pm, William Hooper wrote:
>> Fred Nastos said:
>> [snip]
>>
>> > Secons, all the cries to "search the archives" are falling on
>> > deaf ears since a newbie, especially those coming from a non-redhat
>> > distribution experience, don't even know where the archives are.
>> > Again, why isn't this linked from the website?  On
>> > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/ it gives clear
>> > instructions on how to join the mailing-lists,
>>
>> And on the page to join the mailing list is a link to the archives,
>> which
>> include a search engine.
>
> But, you don't even need to get to that page to join the list.

True enough (as you point out it can be done via e-mail).  It has been a
while, but IIRC the link is in the welcome mail you get an any case.

> Let's say I'm a newbie (which I essentially am) I go to
> http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/ and it says "Since the project is
> new, there aren't any docs other than the Release Notes
> at this time."  It provides a link to the Release Notes.
>
> So, as a newbie, I would click on Release Notes link, which takes
> me to http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/ and scrolling
> down I see:
>
> --begin paste--

Please don't use --(space) as a separator because many mail programs use
it as a separator for the signature and strip it out in replies.
[snip]
> The website it gives (http://fedora.redhat.com) is just the same
> website that led me to this page.  But, it gives instructions for
> joining the mailing list right there.  After that there's some
> talk about IRC channels and then a section titled Hardware
> Requirements.  No where is there a link to the mailing list
> web page (i.e. http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list)

Wouldn't the newbie see on the front page:
http://fedora.redhat.com/
"Join the fedora-list mailing list or chat with other participants on IRC."