Re: Solution for Up2date problems

On January 6, 2004 11:18 pm, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> To fix most of the up2date glitches change the sources in
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to mirror sites

I think two things should be done to minimize these reported
up2date "problems".

One, the instructions should be available at the fedora website.  I
don't see why they aren't.  Moreover, the instructions should be more
than just "Use a mirror" or "edit your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources".
These are too vague for newbies.  Why not give fuller instructions,
perhaps including the important points
- Decide on some mirrors from the list
- As root, edit your /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
- For each mirror, add the line
  http://....<url> /1/i386/os/
The last bit, /1/i386/os/, is important IMO since the website
just gives the root directory.
- save and restart up2date

Secons, all the cries to "search the archives" are falling on
deaf ears since a newbie, especially those coming from a non-redhat
distribution experience, don't even know where the archives are.
Again, why isn't this linked from the website?  On
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/ it gives clear
instructions on how to join the mailing-lists, but why not
include something like, "Before posting a question to
the mailing list, why not search the archives first to see
if your problem has been answered.  To search the archives
go to http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/";

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but a few simple additions to the
website should help reduce the noise levels.

regards