Re: eth1 is dead

>>> rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 01/06/04 03:51PM >>>
<snip>
>> Here's the short version.  I played with the netmasks trying to get
the
>> thing working.  Both netmasks are now 255.255.255.0, and it still
>> doesn't work.
>>
>> Since my last post, I swapped the configs in
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  Now the 172 address is using eth0
and
>> the 66 address is using eth1.  Even with the hardware swappind
addresses
>> it is still the 172 link that is dead.  This takes all hardware
issues
>> out of the loop, right?  It has to be something in the 172 routing
that
>> is munged.
>>
>> I still have all firewalling turned off, routes look fine, but no
>> pingy-pingy.  Or arpy-arpy for that matter.  The card never
responds
>> with an arp-reply which is why the traceroutes get !H's.
>
>Ok, let's get to basics.
>
>1) Do you have a link LED lit up on the bad card?

Links all work.  When I logically swapped IP information, the card that
was working with the 66 address became the card attached to the 172
address... and it stopped working.  And vice-versa.  I have swapped
cables, switch ports, etc.  Everything looks live, but nothing works.

>2) Is the non-working card plugged into a switch or hub, or is it
>directly plugged into the other machine?  If it's plugged into the
other
>machine, you need a crossover network cable.

It's plugged into a switch on the 66 side and a hub on the 172 side.

I'm going to try two public addresses, two private addresses, etc. to
see if it's an anomoly in handling the 172 address space.  I'm really
stretching here, folks.  This is, like, bee-zarre.

All help would be appreciated.

TIA!

-Michael