Re: yum local repository howto?

dalen wrote:

Does anyone know how to rsync from the public Redhat servers?

I use a lftp script to do a HTTP mirror from mirrors.kernel.org. This server performs best for my location. I think this server also supports rsync. My mirror script runs a few hours before cron.daily (yum.cron script) runs. I can post the lftp script if you are interested.

If I have to rsync from a mirror, does a differing directory structure matter and if so how?

The base directories leading up to the repository does not matter. You need to adjust for this in your yum.conf file. My mirrors go into /h2/mirror/pub/... while the server I mirror from starts at /fedora/core/...

Which files/directories are needed by yum base and updates-released other than headers/rpms/srpms, or which can be skipped (*.iso)?

I mirror these from the server: /fedora/core/1/i386/os /fedora/core/updates/1/i386

I exclude *.src.rpm files from my mirror.

If I switch to a local repository after some updates from the Redhat servers, do I need to do any maintenance first such as delete /var/cache/yum?

When I switched my machines to my local mirror, I did completely remove (rm -rf) everything under /var/cache/yum. Necessary? Not sure, but it didn't hurt.

Regards,
Jim